[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Future Seismic Codes in United States

Frank McClure,

Nice to hear from you.  Your comments on ASD, and those from
responders to the ASD/LRFD survey which showed overwhelming
preference for ASD, confirms the old saying that there's nothing
new under the sun.  My concrete design class in Fifties used Phil
Ferguson's textbook, which contained some newfangle ideas in an
appendix called Ultimate Strength Design.  Professor Alex Scordelis
exhorted students to get familiar with it because it was the wave
of the future.  Well, it took a quarter century for Strength Design
(USD) to reach mainstream status among practioners, so if past is
prologue, LRFD should make it into design offices about the time my
grandchildren start their careers.

Frank Lew