[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Structural Observation, Special Inspection issues

Carl,
I think you missed my point on this issue. I agree with everything you
said. My point was not that the code is imperfect, but rather that the
code allows unquailified persons to construct buildings but does not
give them the proper tools to do so. When damage occurs, we run to the
engineer, architect, designer and contractor to seek restitution.
Instead we should be circumventing this type of behavior before the
first stud is nailed in place.
Another post of mine suggests that we use continuing education, make
changes in the manner in which contractors become licensed and separate
out the professions to specific expertises.
Any contractor, architect or engineer that cut's corners, improperly
details and all of the other comments you made for the sole purpose of
forcing the fee's down to stay competitive is as much to fault as the
ones that did purposly defraud to make an extra buck.
I'm barely keeping my head above water because of competition, but I
gladly give away the work if I feel that I need to cut the quality of my
work or comprimise on the amount of detailing that I feel is necessary
to construct the project. I perform structural observation as a routine,
not as a requirement. The engineers in my area, assist one another when
problems occur in the field - to seek a solution that maintains the
integrity of the design.
If you're forced to build the way the details show, you're prices should
not be much different from your competition. If you start out with the
premise to default or cheat, there is nothing that an honest man (or
woman) can do to compete - and the old rule of thumb applies - "buyer
beware".
Carl, I'm not trying to bash any trade, but something is terribly wrong
when a family loses a home that is severely damaged and they can't
afford to rebuild or repair.
The answer, at least temporarily is through retraining and education of
the trades and the professionals. It starts at the licensing exams and
continues through license renewal stages.

Sorry, Carl - you hit a nerve!

Dennis Wish PE