[SEAOC] Re: Inspection

>Engineer can not always inspect every building he designs.

>Inspectors should stop working for contractors.

I've been following this thread from the outside, since I don't do
buildings. I do work with pressure vessels and that industry has adopted
third party inspection. The Authorized Inspector is paid by an inspection
agency, usually an insuror, which has been retained by the manufacturer as
a condition of compliance with the ASME Code. The AI is specially trained
for the work and a member of the National Board of Pressure Vessel
Inspectors. He has the final say on whether a vessel can be stamped. I've
worked with AI's off and on for about 30 years. We've had some
disagreements on how the pressure vessel codes should be interpreted, but
nothing that couldn't be worked out. Looks to me like the construction
industry should adopt something of the sort.

For its cultural value, the pressure vessel codes work in a sort of
tripartite fashion, betweem the ASME, manufacturers and inspection
agencies. The ASME publishes the Code, which is a joint effort of all
interested parties who have technical expertise to offer. There's some log
rolling, but the individual biases pretty much cancel. Manufacturers agree
to comply with the Code subject to examination and inspection, including
quality audits by the inspection agency. The inspection agency and the
Manufacturer jointly are responsible for Code compliance. For good measure,
most states have laws regulating pressure vessel placement; these usually
are written so that Code compliance makes the most sense.

chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com        | this dist--"   (last words of Gen.
Voice phone (612)933-6182  | John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania 1864)