[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] [SEAOC] RE: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Fwd:

Well I'm going to put my 2 cents worth in on this inspeciton issue.
1.  I find most OSHPD and DSA field inspectors to be excellent.  They are
very thorough, don't take any crap from Contractors (or the Design Engineer
for that matter), know the Code, and properly enforce it.  I wish all
projects had inpsectors like these on them.

2.  I find most Deputy or Special Inspectors to be competent.  They are
genrally not as thorough as DSA or OSHPD Inspectors, but for the most part,
they get pretty good marks from me.

3.  City and County Inspectors are a hit and miss prospect.  Some are pretty
good, and some quite frankly are a joke.  I have no confidence in City or
County Inspectors, unless they are people I know and have proven themselves
to be good inspectors.

4. When our office signs a Contract for Structural Engineering Services, we
also write in a provision for field observation before we start any work.  If
the client refuses to sign a contract that includes construction observation,
we generally do not do the project.  I will also add, that very few clients
balk at signing a construction observation contract ahead of time.  When they
do question it, they generally agree after you explain to them how it will
benefit and protect them (the Owner that is).  We do project from Los Angeles
to San Luis Obispo County, and virtually all of our Contracts include
Construction observation.

I would vote to raise the standards of the City and County Inspectors to be
the same quality of DSA, OSHPD, and Deputy Inspectors.  That would mean
higher pay, more testing, and more education for the Inspectors.  I would
also strongly encourage Structural Engineers to simply ask for contract for
field observation at the time the design contract is signed.  I think most
would be surprised how easy it is to get such a contract.

Lynn