[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Structural Observation, Special Inspection issues

Being a structural engineer and lecturer in engineering here in Australia, I can
agree with your comments 100%.

I recently did some computations for an architect who, with the aid of our
timber framing manual design tables quoted the wrong bearer sizes. First and
formost these required designing and could not be selected using the tables.

Even upon using the tables his procedure was wrong. Therefore an architect
is not trained in selected sizes but merely showing us plans, elevations,
sections etc...

Here in Victoria we are going through what I believed happended in the USA
some years ago and failed ( could someone send me further information), that
is private certification. Councils are in competetion with private building
surveyors and inspectors and the is system is bound to fail because how can
you knock back a client who gives you the majority of your work ?

George (PE Austraila)

`