[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: Inspection

>Fabrication shop inspection is different from construction site inspection
>in many ways, but probably the most important one is the chaotic and random
>nature of on-site field construction. Different crafts do different trades,
>and do not care a damn about the other. Get in, get out. In spite of great
>effort, a lot of construction is ahead of or behind schedule, sometimes both
>at the same time. The bigger the job, the more out of control it is. There
>will be crafts that the superintendant does not know are working. Many
>times, subs do not show up. Frequently, structural problems (the most
>important-architectural problems we have some slack with) will hold up many
>others, so the pressure is on to let it go as is. This pressure goes right
>up to the top-owner, engineer, architect. Time is money. Make it work.
>Revise the calcs.

There's a reason why I don't do buildings. ;-> In all fairness, there's a
lot of this in every significant piece of shop fabrication I've ever done.
There's always pressure from management to ship, and if I had a dime for
every time someone told me to 'revise the calcs' or 'make it work' I'd be a
rich man. Sounds to me like the construction business has the choice of
putting up with the chaos, letting things fall through the cracks, and
dealing with the resultant Hyatt skyway collapses, or doing something about
it. The pressure vessel approach is what's used for most nuclear power
generating equipment, so it isn't just for Mom and Pop's air receiver
works.

chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com        | this dist--"   (last words of Gen.
Voice phone (612)933-6182  | John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania 1864)