[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Footings' Tie Beams

For the condition you are talking about, I would use the term "grade beam",
not "tie beam".  I usually consider a tie beam as tying two footings together
to resist outward thrust in a moment frame, such as a "pre-engineered" type
frame.

Grade beams aren't usually necessary for individual columns which take
vertical load only.  Since a column in a seismic moment frame can be loaded
with a shear greater than the vertical load, a grade beam would be
appropriate for that condition.  Also, they are typically used for 1.
supporting walls, 2. tying together footings which are part of the lateral
load system to distribute the lateral load, 3. supporting a "suspended" slab
where the soil is too weak or liquefaction could occur, 4. providing lateral
support for pile footings.  That's all I can think of now.

Carl Sramek