[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Looking for newly designed SMRF buildings

Dear Abdelkater,

For your information, I have a PhD from structural engineering at Cornell
(1987).  I have over 12 years of experience in practice and
self-initiated research for which I have procured my own funding.

If you want drawings from SEs, it is likely that the SE will have to get
written permission from building owners to have _someone else_ analyze
their buildings, even if you tell them that you won't use the building
names and locations.  Most building owners do NOT give permission for
this.  I know of several profs who have been sued for doing just this,
mostly because they found weaknesses or deficiencies in the SEs work --
which made the building owner upset with both the SEs and researchers.
You don't need this aggravation!  Out here, you can be sued for what you
have and for _future_ earnings.

Don't try to "design" buildings on your own, unless you have experience
as a lead engineer in an office.  Likely, you will come up with something
that might be code-compliant, but not usable in practice, especially if
you are unfamiliar with the architecture of various classes of buildings.
(Structural framing should be indicative of architectural function!)

Try to get building drawings from SMIP, USGS, etc.  At least you could
calibrate your analytical model to elastic response of these buildings.
Analyzing real buildings without the benefit of recorded data from actual
ground shaking or without actual failures leads to results that are
questionable.
(You may have to plan some trips to SMIP, USGS, etc., because they don't
mail drawings out.  You can go to the various offices, looking through
what they have, and make copies (which you have to pay for).)

It may be possible to get limited drawings from city building officials,
but this path is not as direct as others.

You need both structural AND architectural drawings to do a proper job.
Structural drawings alone are *not* enough.  They are necessary but not
sufficient.  I have lists of lists of real buildings in which the arch'l
drawings were ignored and in which the analytical models were a total
waste of time -- they predicted the behavior of unrealistic buildings!!

Also, please be VERY careful about what you are doing -- the majority of
buildings built in California since the early/mid-1990s have had their
structural framing minimized, not optimized.  Since there are no code
requirements about 3-D structural framing systems, these buildings are
not particulary good, in general.  (Check out my Dec. 1994 ASCE CE
magazine Forum article entitled "The Northridge Warning: Has 3-D Design
Been Lost.")
It is highly likely that these buildings will suffer from failure modes
that you will not "see" in your analyses (yes -- I have used several
nonlinear time-history programs and NONE of them, to date, have
analytical models that can capture what is anticipated by me and our
senior colleagues).

Also, note that there is still a huge gap between performance criteria of
structural framing and alleged nonstructural elements/component/systems.
If you handle this problem correctly and fill in what's missing in the
documents you sited below, you will break the record for time for your
PhD in structural engineering, which, I believe, was set by one of my
classmates at 10 years.  You should plan things out to do something with
a comprehensive basis, but not a life's pursuit.

To be of any benefit to practitioners, you need, at the very minimum, to
note in detail what is missing in the documents you mentioned.  My list
from these is very long and highly detailed, but I have only been working
on it for a very few hours.

How much information do you have on the influence of, say, heavy cladding
on steel framed buildings?  The state-of-practice leads to an analytical
model that is grossly UNconservative (see "Seismic Performance of Cladding:
Responsbility Revisited, by JM Cohen, ASCE's J. Performance of
Constructed Facilities).  Did you know that in some buildings that the
mass of cladding panels is almost 20% of the superstructure?  It is
INcorrect to assume that these panels _only_ "conservatively" increase the
periods of vibration of the framing -- most modern steel-framed buildings
exhibit significant higher mode response -- again, please see my paper.

In the past 6-7 years, I have reviewed quite a few analytical models,
offering comments on whether or not they represent the building at hand
and, if not, whether they represent another building that is realistic.
*If* your documentation is clear, very clear, including how your
assumptions are implemented into input for the various computer programs,
I might be able to offer a little bit of time on this.

Good luck!
Julie Cohen (Cornell structural engineering PhD, 1987)

|   Dr. Julie Mark Cohen, P.E.,    |
|   Director and Principal         |
|   Cladding Research Institute    |
|   6 Commodore Drive, Suite 330   |