[SEAOC] simpson strength values

     The Simpson catalog specifies all values are based on dry lumber (
moisture content under 19% ) on page 6 item e of the 1-1-96 catalog.
     The local lumber yard ( Hagle lumber , Somis, CA ) says all lumber 4 X
and larger is only available S- Green ( moisture content over 19 % ). 2 X is
available S-dry at a 10 to 15 % premium . Visits to jobsites confirm the
lumber is S-green and even wet when pulled from a stack. Very few days pass
from the time the lumber is dropped at the site untill hangers and straps are
nailed.
     94' UBC sec 2335.5.3 and table 23 III B on page 2-991 specify Cm of .75
for nails installed in lumber partially seasoned ( moisture content over 19%
), even when the lumber dries later.
     I called Bob Greg at Simpsons S. CA office and he confirmed they assume
dry conditions. They do not test the nailed portion of connections but
calculate the nails and values from the code.
     Therfore, it appears correct to reduce all simpson nailed connector
values 25% for typical wood framing, in this area at least.
     In the past i have not been using this reduction in design and as a plan
check engineer, i do not see others using this reduction. Am i missing
something ? I would value you comments.

Tom Harris , SE3803
Thousand Oaks, CA