[SEAOC] Simpson Hold Down connections

At 12:51 PM 6/28/96 -0800, croser(--nospam--at)s6.hninc.com wrote:

>Tom:
>You aren't missing anything.  The reduction also would apply to your edge
>nailing of the plywood to a 4x post, which devalues your plywood shear wall
>capacity.  I know that the DSA is commenting on this fact, but I know of no
>other agency which enforces this requirement.  Does anyone else have
>experience to share?
>
>Jeff Crosier, S.E.
> ----------
>From: HARRISENGR(--nospam--at)aol.com
>To:  seaoc(--nospam--at)power.net; Chung-Yuan Wen; Jeffrey Crosier
>Subject: [SEAOC] simpson strength values
>Date: Saturday, June 29, 1996 10:48AM
>
>     The Simpson catalog specifies all values are based on dry lumber (
>moisture content under 19% ) on page 6 item e of the 1-1-96 catalog.

SNIP

>check engineer, i do not see others using this reduction. Am i missing
>something ? I would value you comments.
>
>Tom Harris , SE3803
>Thousand Oaks, CA

Jeff,
On a slightly askew note, I'd like to bring up the issue of HD
installations.  Although drawn on the plans and in the catalogue as mounted
flush with the plate, I have found some HDa's monted to the vertical member
as much as 2" above the plate.
I called Bill Walker of Simpson regarding a project on which the Engineer of
Record was asking me to verify the hardware.  He told me that the only
result was a "loss of deflection".  I included this conversation in my
report to the Designer, but I didn't receive any comment and when I
subsequently visited the site, was told that the Building Inspector didn't
consider it an issue.
Isn't that something for the Inspection community to be concerned with?
Since I am a Special/Deputy Inspector, a framing or hardware inspection is
actually outside my sphere of licensing so my report is really in-house to
the Engineer only and doesn't have any clout even if I had a call to make.
I ask for some feedback, please.

R. Sandy Pringle MM
sandyp(--nospam--at)beachnet.com
http://www.beachnet.com/~sandyp/index.htm
Sandy Pringle & Associates          "Try not to become a man of success but
Structural Inspection Consultants      rather to become a man of value."
(800)598-1970	Fax(310)376-5294	      Albert Einstein
Hermosa Beach & Redondo Beach, CA