[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] RE: [SEAOC] simpson strength values

Shafat Qazi wrote:

> Tom, it my understanding that the moisture content in lumber reduces
> significantly once used as building material. Unless, of course, the member
> is exposed to weather.
>
> Shafat

Shafat:

That may be true for many species and in smaller sizes, but I recently
had a discussion with the engineering staff at the National Forest
Products Association because I couldn't find *dry* design values for
Southern Yellow Pine in *timber* sizes (5x5 and larger).  They said that
in these larger sizes the wood is always delivered to the site in a
*wet* condition, and it takes *many* years for it to dry out naturally.
 Thus, the NDS only publishes design allowables for *wet* conditions
(except for the specialty structural grades).

-Lew