[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Software

----------
> From: Shake4bake(--nospam--at)aol.com
> To: seaoc(--nospam--at)power.net
> Subject: [SEAOC] Software
> Date: Saturday, June 29, 1996 11:32 AM
>
> I'm interested in any/all comments regarding the following:
>
> Autocad LT users - What add ons are you using?
>
> Windows 95 - Has anyone experienced problems with  DOS based programs
such as
> Enercalc, RetainPro (I recently received an upgrade offer for Win95
version)
> or Risa running under Windows 95.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mark

Mark, I find that all of the programs that you mention, with the exception
of AutoCad Lt, work well under '95 so long as you run the program from a
DOS Window within '95.
I have run into a small problem with Enercalc and Window's '95, but I'm
not sure if it is a software problem or not. I recently performed a wood
beam analysis and found the results to be 90% of the allowable bending
stress. When I ran the same spreadsheet a second time (about a week later)
I found the beam to be 17% overstressed. I checked the input and found
this to be consistant. The program determined the Allowable stress at a
higher value the first time than the second.
To make a long story short, the input was not to blame. I think there may
have been a problem with the results as a result of not enough
conventional memory. I haven't called Mike Brooks yet about this.
Fortunately I caught the problem and learned a valuable lesson. I now
check my results very carefully rather than take the calculated values are
arbitrarily correct.

This is a good lesson for all to learn.

I'm not sure about AutoCad Lt since I don't run this software. Possibly
someone else can be more precise on this one.
If anyone has had a problem with Enercalc results operating in a Dos
Window in '95 please let me know.

Dennis S. Wish PE