[SEAOC] Expansion Joints and Shear Walls

     I am working on conceptual design of a building that is more than
     4,000 feet long and approximately 80 feet wide with a bar joist roof.
     I need 2 hour fire walls approximately every 150 feet due to
     protection of equipment. I believe it to be cost-effective and
     space-efficient to use the fire walls as my lateral force resisting
     elements, shear walls.

     Herein lies the dilemma.  The length of the structure dictates that
     expansion joints be provided for the structural system.  If I utilize
     the fire walls as shear walls, is it realistic to think that I can
     design a constructable connection that would allow movement
     perpendicular to the wall? (I'd only do this from one side of the wall
     to retain a pin at the top of the wall for out of plane loads.)

     Here is my proposed solution:  Tie the bar joists on one side of the
     wall to a top plate and on the other side of the wall provide a
     connection at each joist such that movement perpendicular to the wall
     is permitted and restrained parallel to the wall.  The Architects will
     have a ball trying to seal this joint!

     Certainly this is not the first time this type of problem has been
     encountered.  Is there anyone who has seen this before?  What do you
     think of my solution?  What are the weak spots?

     Scott Horn
     BSRI