[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Plywood Shearwall Deflection

     I have been using the height of the top of the opening as the height in
the height to width ratio by adding 4 x blocking and Simpson cs straps the
length of the wall at the header height ( and sill height if a window).The
entire wall is plywood over the opening. This still requires a 3.5' length
for a 7' door.
      I have tried the deflection calc's and when the holddown deflection is
included ( Simpson figures do not include bolt movement due to wood shrinkage
since they are tested in a steel apparatus with no wood), the deflection
usually exceeds .005h at maximum shear loads and height to width ratios under
2-1.

Tom Harris , SE3803
Thousand Oaks, CA