[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: Seismic Design versus Wind Design in Wood

If we combine the topics from the last few days, a question comes to
mind.  In seismic zone 3 or 4, and with high (70-90 mph) wind loads gyp
board shear walls may be adequate for wind controlled design, but with
the reduction in allowable loads for seismic design of gyp board shear
walls, as well as the decreased value of Rw, even the lower design
forces caused by seismic loads could possibly govern the use of plywood
shear walls.
  I do not like gyp board shear walls, and very rarely use them in
seismic design, but fail to completely understand why the allowable
loads for gyp board shear walls are not reduced for wind forces.