[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Number of plywood veneer layers.

Jeff,

I do not believe that table 23-I-J-1 of the UBC implies any requirement as to
the number of plys required for the given thickness of plywood.  This table
is only for the allowable shear for a total thickness of plywood.

As I understand it, 3/8" and 1/2" Exposure 1 plywood is only 3 plys.  5/8"
Exposure 1 plywood is typically 4 plys.  If you want a minimum of 4 plys,
than you need to call for 1/2" structural 1 plywood, or 5/8" Exposure I
plywood.  5 ply 1/2" structural 1 appears to be more of a special order which
most contractors do not want to do. Typically in our office  we are using
1/2" structural 1 plywood for all shear walls, since in Los Angeles all 3 ply
plywood is limited to 200 plf.

Michael Cochran  S.E.
Brian L. Cochran Assoc.
Los Angeles, CA