[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] retaining walls

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996 HARRISENGR(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

>       I would appreciate information on alternate types of retaining walls
> for heights above fifteen feet. Cantilever types have footings that are too
> wide . Caisson and grade beam types are expensive. I have seen systems that
> stack concrete pieces back at an angle but are they calculated?  Any other
> ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Tom Harris , SE
> Thousand Oaks, CA

Tom,
The stacked "concrete pieces" sounds like a bin wall, and yes they are
calculable. Have you considered soldier beams with lagging. We have built
quite a few over the last 10 or 15 years, as permanent structures, and
they are performing well. We usually have the beams galvanized, but I'm
not sure that it is necessary. For a permanent structure that also looks
good, try precast concrete planks. The big advantage here is in the
reduction in excavation. You basically only have to remove the dirt from
in front of the wall.
Bob

Bob Shilling, SE             Berkeley, CA          shilling(--nospam--at)emf.net
KK6QQ         				  MSA S-10, 3 floor, 4 knee
'91 R100                                                  DoD# 1195
      "This alligator walks into a bar and ..."   Horizon Kent