[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Roof Truss shop drawings

Neil:

I appreciate your comments regarding prefabricated trusses. For these very
reasons I am reluctant to specify gang-nail pre-fabricated wood trusses. In
the event of litigation it is fairly easy for attorneys to find fault in
anyone remotely involved with the project team whether or not there is
actual negligence. Before I was self employed I was once involved in such a
case where I was asked to inventory the grade stamps on all chord and web
members in an attic and it was not surprising to find lower grade members
than specified on the shop drawings, trivial yet ammunition for the case.
Several years ago I designed roof framing for a low income family project
and I specifically avoided pre fab trusses but was forced to make revisions
( at gun point) at the last moment to save money. Sure enough I ran into
the same issues you described. The contractors were stunned when I required
lateral bracing and deflection spaces at partition walls. Have you ever
tried to read the truss manufacturers fine print on the back of a shop
drawing....sheesh!
Regards,

Jeff Smith. S.E.
phone: (415) 543-8651