[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] FRP BARS.

     FRP stands for Fiber(glass) Reinforced Plastic as in FRP plastic

     grating, structural shapes, and piping materials.  They are
quite
     expensive compared to steel and normally only used in aggressive

     chemical environments or electrical conductivity concerns
(electro
     plating shops!).

     Several manufactures are experimenting with FRP rebar which
would be
     an alternative in concrete structures exposed to deicing salts
or
     marine facilities.  Two draw backs are that although FRB rebar
can
     achieve very high strength (100 ksi or better) it is difficult
     formulate a plastic rebar to have a smooth and long transition
between
     the yield strength and tensile strength which is the essence of
     reinforced concrete design.  The other draw back is that these
bars
     are very stiff and can not be bent like a steel bar.  Special
pre-made
     bars are required for hooks and bends.

     Thomas Hunt