Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Plywood Shear Walls on Metal Studs[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaoc(--nospam--at)power.net
- Subject: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Plywood Shear Walls on Metal Studs
- From: jrose36(--nospam--at)nwlink.com (JOHN ROSE)
- Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 23:55:14 -0700 (PDT)
Carl, in addition to the recent response to your question from Dennis Wish, there is an ICBO ES report for shear walls and diaphragms with wood structural panel sheathing attached to steel framing (ICBO ER#4144) for Erico pins/nails pneumatically driven into steel framing. This is the only practical application now, although Aerosmith from AZ is also working on a ICBO ES report for a similar fastener; contact ICBO ES in Whittier, CA for status. Another fastener manufacturer (Pneutek, ICBO ER #3447) has recognition for pins/nails in heavier gages of steel for diaphragms. AISI has made a code change proposal for the '97 UBC to add shear wall values for steel framing into the body of the code; the information is based on monotonic and cyclic load shear wall tests (SEAOSC protocol) conducted by Dr. Reynaud Serrette at Santa Clara Univ. and Simpson Strong-Tie Co. (Brea, CA). The proposed values are in strength limit states/LRFD format; e.g., they must be reduced for ASD by applying a load or safety factor. There are some inconsistencies in their values that I believe should be corrected at the next ICBO hearing this fall. John Rose, APA/Tacoma, WA _____ >I don't remember seeing this subject recently. I'm fishing for the latest, >state-of-the-art thinking on using plywood shear walls on metal studs. > Off-the-wall opinions are very welcome. > >1. Can the UBC values for plywood shear walls apply to plywood on metal >studs? If not, what values should be used? > >2. What are the special challenges with this type of construction? > >3. Any other interesting comments? > >Thanks. Carl Sramek > > >... > > > ...
- Prev by Subject: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Plywood Shear Walls on Metal Studs
- Next by Subject: [SEAOC] RE: [SEAOC] Plywood Shear Walls on Metal Studs
- Previous by thread: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Plywood Shear Walls on Metal Studs
- Next by thread: [SEAOC] RE: [SEAOC] Plywood Shear Walls on Metal Studs