[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Plywood Shear Walls on Metal Studs

     I would not use ubc values for steel studs. The screws/ pins do not have
embedment  into a stud as in wood. American Iron and Steel Institute :
1-800-79steel  has tables for screws but the values seem too high.
     Erico has air gun pins ( ICBO # 4144 ) with values that also seem high.
I have used these on two jobs and was very disappointed: The pins do not pull
the plywood tight against the studs. I would recommend not using these.
     I have another large custom home under construction near the L.A. /
Ventura County line just off the 101 freeway if you are in the L.A. area and
would like to see one , it is at the corner of Kanan Rd. and Dawn Meadow,
Westlake Village.

Tom Harris SE
Thousand Oaks, CA