[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Plywood Shear Walls on Metal Studs

The point raised by Tom Harris about the pneumatic fastening tools not
driving the wood sheathing panels tightly against the framing is a good one.
APA recommends hand or other pressure to assure contact between the
sheathing and framing when driving fasteners with pneumatic fastening tools,
whether with wood or steel framing. On horizontal surfaces such as roofs or
floors, foot pressure usually is adequate if placed near where the fastener
is being driven.  Otherwise, the tool driver does not have enough impact to
force the sheathing against the framing, and a gap will result. Mostly
common sense is needed, but the engineer or inspector needs to remind the
contractor/carpenter to follow this recommendation.

In monotonic and cyclic load tests, wood sheathing fastened to steel framing
for shear walls (and diaphragms) can develop some pretty good shear loads,
depending on the fastener and spacing used. The screws or knurled pins
(nails) seem to "lock into" the framing and not pull out, but they do
rotate. As noted, Erico (ICBO ES #4144) and Pneutek (ICBO ES #3447) have
recognized shear values for this application.  AISI has a code change (#240)
for the 1997 UBC that will add shear wall values for this application in the
body of the code; it is based on limit states or LRFD design, so values must
be reduced for ASD.

John Rose/ APA, Tacoma
_______