[SEAOC] RASTRA wall

Does anyone have any experience with this type of wall assembly? I am
looking at a new residence that the owner and architect are interested in
the product. Two homes in the Oakland, CA area have been constructed using
it.

RASTRA  wall is a wall assembly made from an exterior form of styrofoam
that has a steel reinforced concrete 2000 psi grout matrix of vertical and
horizontal round grouted spaces. Reinforcing is typically #3 at 15" oc each
way. The walls are load bearing and they resist lateral loads and are not
suggested for structures over 2 stories. I have seen an earlier German
version where the styrofoam is interlocking and similar in shape to
concrete masonry blocks.  I have an undated research paper for tests
performed by UC Irvine. I would think that shearwall boundary conditions
would govern design.

Jeff Smith