[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Repair of damaged wood columns (Rot & Termite damage)

Dennis, the product you're thinking about is WoodEpox and LiquidWood by
Abatron, Inc., 5501 95th Ave., Kenosha, WI 53144; tel. 800-445-1754. They
report it's been used to repair lots of historic structures.  I've used it
to repair my 1960's plywood sailboat - ok so far. The LiquidWood is a thin
epoxy and absorbs into wood really good. I had less luck with WoodEpox
filler; mixed according to their instructions, it was too stiff - maybe I
needed more resin to add to the filler.

Other sources of epoxy and fillers (widely used for boat construction) are
System Three Resins, Inc., PO Box 70436, Seattle, WA 98107; tel.
206-782-7976;  and West System by Gougeon Brothers, Inc., PO Box 908,
BayCity, MI 48707; tel. 517-684-7286.  I've used the System Three
resin/hardeners and they're easy to mix (2 parts resin to 1 part hardener).
The West System is trickier - 5 parts resin to 1 part hardener; they have
special mixing pumps that must be used to deliver the proper amounts.  They
also have lots of info available.

There are several articles in ASCE journals by Prof. R. Richard Avent/
Louisiana State Univ. Dept. of Civil Engineering about using epoxies to make
structural repairs to trusses and heavy timber members which have seasoning
cracks. Avent has written a chapter in the wood engineering textbook by Tom
Williamson and Keith Faherty (McGraw Hill Book Co.) on this technique.  He
uses epoxies by Sika Corp. (NJ), mostly to fill cracks/splits.

In hot weather, the epoxies "kick over" fast so you have to work with small
amounts. Ask for recommendations on hardeners/catalysts to use to give more
open assembly time before curing in hot weather.

John Rose/APA, Tacoma, WA
_____