[SEAOC] Rigid frame with masonry walls

Question: Is it practical to provide a high bay single story building with
steel rigid framing and masonry walls?

I've seen buildings detailed this way, but I question whether the masonry can
handle the lateral movements to develop rigid frame action if it is tied to
the steel frame.  I am currently working on a building with a 3-ton bridge
crane, to be steel framed with masonry veneer (brick/CMU).  While a rigid
steel frame could handle the loads, I am inclined to go with a braced frame to
prevent damage to the masonry.  Has anyone encountered a rigid frame building
with masonry walls which has had damage due to the frame movement due to
lateral loads?  (This structure is in a low seismic area but potential
hurricane winds.)