[SEAOC] Re: Re- Wood Shingles

                      RE> Re: Wood Shingles                        8/13/96

Last summer I had a new shake roof installed on my house in San Jose.  We were
pushing the envelope -- if you wanted a new (untreated) shake roof in
California, you had to have your permit pulled by July 1, 1995.  It's my
understanding that the California legislature passed a ruling requiring all
new roofs after July 1, 1995 to have Class A fire rating.  The law also
applies to re-roofs, but not to repairs affecting less than a certain
percentage of roof area.  I like the look of shakes, and I also wanted my new
roof to last longer than 10 years -- which is about how long treated shakes
last.

The new law was news to me at the time.  It seems like this one sneaked on
through without a whole lot of press.  I bet you'll be able to put wood
shingles on your house, but they'll have to be treated with fire retardant if
you pull a roofing permit.