[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Steel Bracing Connection

Rick,

It seems that Blodgett's recommendations is allowing either the
attaching plate or the attaching member to buckle and therefore you
design the more rigid element for the eccentric moment.  What good is
this if one of the elements has failed.  It seem to make more sense to
design both for the applied forces including any eccentricity.

With the history of Northridge moment frame welds we need to remember
that steel structures do not always perform the same as our design
assumptions.  This is one reason I have never been excited with plastic
design of steel structures.  I prefer to keep the stresses in the
elastic range.

Jim Dane