[SEAOC] Truss Discussion

Here's my 3 cents, which is based on my experience here in the
Northwest where we have some snow and don't want to here about
earthquakes!
  We have numerous truss manufacturors, which more often than not are
the local lumber yard in the larger towns.
They purchase truss plates and engineering from almost every state,
indcluding those that do not use the UBC, and
those where seismic and snow loading are not normal design
considerations, which is OK if the engineer
understands and knows how to include loads from those forces in
his(her) calc's.
 In the course of three school projects I assumed(We all know that
assumptions can be the mothers of many bad things...)
that a truss plate engineer(manuf truss engineer) in a state thaT HAS
BOTH SEISMIC & SNOW LOADs would properly address them.
Part of my assumption was that some plan and elevation drawings were in
the engineer's possession. After rejecting the shop drawings and
calculations 3 times for ommissions and missing snow drift loads I
finally asked if the engineer had the drawings showing the roof offsets
in order to properly
compute the snow drift loads. I was told that they didn't and it was
not normal practice to have them! The engineer relied on information
provided by the
manufacturor!! I asked if the manufacturor's rep was an engineer and
was told,NO!! I copied the pertinant drawings and the current UBC snow
drift sections with the local state amendments and sent them to the
truss engineer and finally recieved, acceptable shop drawings and calcs.
The rest of the story is that my request for additional compensation
was rejected by the national engineering company doing the construction
management !
I have also seen lumber "hi grading" but will spare you that account
until later.

Norb Volny