Subject: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Steel Bracing Connection
Author:  seaoc::(SEAOCAB) at ~FABRIK
Date:    8/27/96 9:03 AM

From: seaoc(--nospam--at)power.net
Date: Tue, Aug 27, 1996 9:03 AM
To: seaoc
Hi, Martin
I was responding to the attached comment by Rick Drake trying to
start
a discussion on steel connection design.  I am not sure what section
of
blodgett he was referring to so I pass the response on to Rick unless
can find it in my copy.

Hope all is well with everyone at EQE.

Jim Dane
The Quikset Organization

>Copy of comments by Rick Drake:
>
>   It's about time for some discussion on structural steel design.
>   In the August "Modern Steel Construction", the following
>question is raised:  "In the design of braces for axial forces,
>gusset plates are connected to the flat surface of the flanges of WT

sections.  Should the effect of eccentricity be considered in the
design of braces?  If eccentricity is to be considered, what
procedure
is to be followed?"
>   Per the AISC Specifications, ASD J1.9 or LRFD J1.8, you can
>neglect the eccentricity in the design of the member if the members
are statically loaded.  No mention is made of the design of the
>connecting plates, bolts, and welds.
>   Blodgett's Design of Welded Structures recommends that you
>design the member for the eccentricity if the attaching plate is
flexible and you design the plate for the eccentricity if the
attaching
plate is rigid.

>   Any thoughts?
>
>   Rick Drake, SE

******* *****
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers Association
of
*   California (SEAOC) email server. To subscribe (no fee) to the
list, send
*   email to seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and in the subject of the message type
*   subscribe. To Unsubscribe, send email to seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and in
*   the subject of the message type Unsubscribe. For questions, send
email
*   to seaoc-ad(--nospam--at)seaoc.org. Make sure you visit our web site at:
*   http://www.seaoc.org/seaoc

Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:03:03 -0700
From: jimdane(--nospam--at)ix.netcom.com (JIM DANE)
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)power.net