Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
[SEAOC] Seismic Design of Foundations[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaoc(--nospam--at)power.net
- Subject: [SEAOC] Seismic Design of Foundations
- From: fmcclure(--nospam--at)ccnet.com
- Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 08:31:28 -0700 (PDT)
James Lord posted the following email question on August 31, 1996: "When designing a foundation of a seismic lateral resisting system, is it necessary to design the foundation using all the concrete seismic design provisions?" One possible answer can be found in the June-August 1996, International Conference of Building Officials, Building Standards, Part III, Code Change Agenda, 1996 Annual Education and Code Development Conference, Item 178, Lateral Design Code Development Committee, Approved as Revised, page 159, which reads in part: "1648.2.10 Framing below the base. The strength and stiffness of the framing between the base and the foundation shall not be less than that of the superstructure. The special detailing requirements of Chapter 19 and 22, as appropriate, shall apply to columns supporting discontinuous lateral force-resisting elements and to SMRF, IMRF and EBF system elements below the base which are required to transmit the forces resulting from lateral loads to the foundation." Also, Item 178, Challenge 1, page 173, adds STMF and MMRWF systems to this Section 1648.2.10. If Section 1648.2.10 is approved at the ICBO 1996 Annual Education and Code Development Conference, the above provision will be included in the 1997 Uniform Building Code. Frank McClure fmcclure(--nospam--at)ccnet.com File lord1.txt ...
- Prev by Subject: [SEAOC] Seismic Design of Foundations
- Next by Subject: [SEAOC] Seismic Evaluation and Rehabilitation, FEMA 178, FEMA 172 and FEMA 273.
- Previous by thread: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Seismic Design of Foundations
- Next by thread: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Reactive aggregate