[SEAOC] Oriented Strand Board Sheathing

D. Estrill:
If you will send me your mailing address, I'll send you APA's
information on
OSB sheathing.  In our opinion, OSB is functionally stiffer and
stronger
than insulation board products for wall sheathing.  If all panel
edges are
supported by and nailed to framing (as when panels are installed
vertically
with their strength axis or long panel dimension parallel to wall
studs),
they are as efficient energy-wise as insulation board products, in my

opinion.  With any wood sheathing product (plywood or OSB), it is
important
to flash around window and door openings to avoid leaks which could
deteriorate the sheathing behind the siding.  Most builders seem to
have
forgotten how to do this properly.  I have an article on this subject
which
shows the proper way to do it, and I'll mail a copy to share with
your
builder.
John Rose/APA, Tacoma, WA
john.rose(--nospam--at)apawood.org.