[SEAOC] Type M vs Type S mortar

We routinely specify Type M mortar on jobs. No one has ever
complained.

We recently completed drawings for a high school in Colorado. We used
our standard specification for mortar and have received a request for
change to Type S. The contractor must not see it often. But he *did*
bid the job from plans that included the Type M spec. He will need to
credit my client.

Aside from strength what are the relative benefits of the two types of
mortar?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark E. Deardorff, SE