[SEAOC] RE: [SEAOC] Type M vs Type S mortar

Workablity:
The biggest issue from the masons perspective is board life.  M mortar has a
shorter board life.  S mortar is much more prevalent outside of the west
coast for most structural applications.  Generally in projects that I have
worked on throughout the US, S mortar is specified for the perimeter and
structural walls, M mortar is specified for back parging and below grade
applications.

Performance:
In applications where wind driven rain can be an issue, S mortar is
generally accepted as superior to M mortar.  M mortar has a higher cement
content, and will generally shrink more.  With M mortar being restricted to
subgrade and back parging, board life is not as great an issue as it is once
you start going up the scaffold.  S mortar's higher lime content also acts
as a "crack healer".  See the article by Walker and Gutschick in The
Magazine of Masonry Construction, July 1988.

Local practices:
Construction techniques and standards are highly regionalized in the US for
masonry, wood, and for some specific steel details.  It becomes even more of
an issue in foreign work where local rebar sizes and strengths are just one
of many nuances encountered.

I am sure your plans and specs. are correct and accurate, but it is often
better to try to accommodate local practices and avoid a dispute.  Unless
the cost difference is significant, you may wish to use this as you owe me
one.

HOS
Black & Veatch
spragueho(--nospam--at)bv.com