[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Plywood: sinkers beat common nails?

There was a question regarding the submittal articles in the 1995 SEAOC Proceedings "Laboratory Testing of As-Built Timber Diaphragm to Shear Wall Connections" and "Laboratory Testing to Investigate Pneumatically Driven Box Nails for the Edge Nail of 3/8" Thick Plywood Shear Walls" by Seb J. Ficcadenti, SE, Thomas A Castle CE and Robert Kazanjy PE.
Our comments generally recommended that these papers not be taken too seriously as there was a question relating to the review of the papers prior to their submission to SEAOC.
Yesterday, I received my monthly SEAOSC newsletter to find the following Letter submitted by Graeme Dick SE Chairman of the Ad Hoc Committee on Testing Standards for Structural Systems and Components:

"To Whom It May Concern:
The (Ad Hoc Committee on Testing Standards for Structural Systems and Components) notes that two papers related to testing of wood components and systems were included in the 1995 SEAOC Conference proceedings that were not presented or discussed during the technical sessions at the conference. I refer to "Laboratory Testing of As-Built Timber Diaphragm to Shear Wall Connections" and "Laboratory Testing to Investigate Pneumatically Driven Box Nails for the Edge Nail of 3/8" Thick Plywood Shear Walls" . The papers include reference to the Ad Hoc Committee for Testing Standards for Structural Systems and Components.
Since we had on input with respect to the work reported and are not aware of any peer review of the testing, analysis, or interpretation of the test data reported in the papers, the Ad Hoc Committee for Testing Standards for Structural Systems and Components takes no position with respect to the reported testing or the conclusions reported in the papers.
Signed on behalf of the Ad Hoc Committee for Testing Standards for Structural Systems and Components.

Graeme Dick, SE
Chairman"

This should clear up some of the confusion that the original engineer had on this subject.

Dennis S. Wish PE