[SEAOC] RE: [SEAOC] wood pile foundations

The method for determining existing pile condition in timber pilings for
bridges is to drill through the pile and determine the amount of rot
that has occurred inside the pile.  Typically, the existing pile
condition is worse than the exterior condition would suggest, as the
pile deteriorates from the inside out. As the drill penetrates through
the pile the resistance is measured and the amount of rot, or loss of
section, can be estimated.

Once the pile condition is determined it becomes a simple calc. to
determine the load capacity of the pile using the "unrotted" timber
section as load carrying.

Brian Bellfi
"One of those bridge guys, again"