[SEAOC] Preventing Corrosion of Reinforced Concrete In Severe Marine Exposures

Hi, I caught your thread while "surfing" for silica fume references on the
Internet.  Can I help?  The use of epoxy coated bars has been a worry since the
Florida State Highways Dept issued its report (1986?) on the state of their
epoxy rebar built bridges after only 8-9 years exposure.  They had deteriorated
to a level seen only at the 12-15 year mark when normal steel is used.  Add to
that the open letter issued by concrete technologist Ken Clear in the USA
(1990?) on the subject, saying that, after his years of research, epoxy bars had
unfortunately proven to fail early in real life structures, and the message is
pretty clear.....Don't use it!
On silica fume, recently (JAN '96) in a conference in the Arabian Gulf in
Bahrain, two papers were presented that cautioned specifiers that the latest
scientific findings from research in the UK and Sweden showed that silica fume
concretes are in fact very susceptible to ASR (Alkali Silica Reaction) and
disintegration, accelerated in the presence of chlorides, and obviously, by the
elevated ambient temperatures found in the  Gulf.
If you would like details of these and other documents, please contact me
directly at my Compuserve address, I'd be happy to direct you to them.
If you are in need of an enhanced performance concrete to prevent corrosion of
reinforced concrete by seawater, or other water borne corrosives,.....with a
time-proven, 35 year successful track record, then check out the Web site at
http://www.buildata.com.au/cement.htm, or use an Internet Search engine,
(Excite, or Yahoo) and look for "cementaid"
I hope that this is of help and assistance to you.
Michael Aldred.