[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] welded matched box connections in bridge

Dave Evans,
I am replying to your posting concerning who is a good welding consultant
intimately familiar with the AWS provisions for the strength of welded box
connections.  However, I am also posting my response to seaoc(--nospam--at)power.net because
there are probably others who like to know of a good welding consultant.

In my judgment, one of the outstanding welding consultants is A. L. Collin,
Consulting Engineer, Registered Civil and Metallurgical Engineer, State of
California, 626 Moraga Way, Orinda, CA 94563, Tel. (510) 376-5632, FAX (I
believe is the same as the telephone number) and no known email address.
I have known Al Collin since we went the University of California at Berkeley
together over fifty years ago.  Yes, he is an "old timer" but has served for
many years on the AWS Board of Directors and has practical "hands-on" welding
experience.
He is truly knowledgeable concerning all aspects of welding and is still very
active as a consulting engineer.  (No, he is not my brother-in-law.)
I recommend him to you and others, who receive a copy of this message, without
qualification or reservation.  He is one of the best in the business.

I will FAX him a copy of your inquiry tomorrow, September 8, 1996 so if you
contact him he will know what your concerns are.  Use my name when you contact
him.  Sincerely, hope you contact him because he can help you and others.

Frank E. McClure  Consulting Structural Engineer   Tel. (510) 254-8231
FAX (510) 254-4602  fmcclure(--nospam--at)ccnet.com             File collin.txt