[SEAOC] RE: [SEAOC] Durability of Lightweight concrete

Our experience in researching lightweight concrete durability was similar to
yours.  The literature on tire-wear durability is inconclusive.  However,
there appear to have been many successes using lightweight concrete for
exposed bridge decks, even though many others were built with AC or normal
weight wearing surfaces.  We were convinced enough to specify lightweight
concrete with no additional wearing surface (there is a 15 mm integral
wearing surface assumed for design) for a 690 meter cast-in-place concrete
box girder bridge over the American River (Folsom, CA) to be bid next March.
 Caltrans is also planning on using lightweight for the new Benicia-
Martinez bridge, although I'm not sure if they are using it exposed.

Some questions come to  mind for your case:
1.   Do you know the concrete strength, type of lightweight aggregate
(natural or manufactured), and if the fine aggregate was also lightweight?
 These may give some indication of the wear-resistance to be expected.
2.   What is the current condition of the beamway after 30 years?
3.   How much would it cost if it was necessary to overlay it later?

Not knowing the answer to these questions, my feeling from reading the
literature is that there is no reason to assume that the performance would
be worse than for a normal weight overlay. It seems to depend heavily on the
type of aggregate used.

A good place to start if you don't already have it:

FHWA Report No. FHWA/RD-85/045, "Criteria for Designing Lightweight Concrete
Bridges", August, 1985.

Finally, if you happen to be in Sacramento tomorrow (Sept. 10) there is an
"International Symposium on Lightweight Concrete Bridges" sponsored by
Caltrans and Pacific Custom Materials (a lightweight aggregate
manufacturer).  You could probably get a set of proceedings from:

PCM
715 N. Central Ave., Suite 101
Glendale, CA
818-240-5160