[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Thermo-Ply Structural Sheathing

Jeff,

We have used Thermo-ply on a military housing project in Southern California
and have been told of it use on other military housing projects in Northern
California and other states.  I am not aware of any buildings which have gone
through an earthquake though that used thermo-ply for the wall sheathing.  As
you noticed, the allowable shear is more than gypboard, but less than
plywood.  Since the thickness is only about 1/8 inch and roofing type nails
are used for the attachment to the studs we only used it on very long walls
(wall height/wall length ratio  = 1/4  = 0.25).  All shorter walls used
plywood.  The material seems rather flimsy and probably would not fair very
well if you did some dynamic testing on a wall panel sheathed with
thermo-ply.  But, because of cost, we well most likely have to use it on any
future military housing projects,  especially since it has an approved shear
value with an ICBO approval.  Depending on the project which you are involved
in, you might want to require some dynamic testing of a thermo-ply sheathed
wall panel to determine how it actually performs.

Michael Cochran
Brian L. Cochran Associate
Los Angeles, CA.