[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Thermo-Ply Structural Sheathing

Michael:

Thank you for your reply, you confirm my intuition. The product seems more
applicable for buildings such as the ones you describe. I talked to a rep
and inquired about any in-situ results as well as methods for calculating
deflection. He could not answer my questions, but the main office is
looking into it. I think your 4:1 width to height ratio is appropriate. I
am working with a client on a new custom home. She has an enviromental
consultant. She is trying to avoid any formaldehydes and other "toxics" as
well as use materials that are enviromentally sensitive, that is to say
energy efficient in use and fabrication (by products, waste, recycle etc. )
as well as produced or harvested in a responsible way. Unfortunately the
house is next to the Hayward Fault and in a high risk fire zone and as
usual, cost is a factor.

>Jeff,
>
>We have used Thermo-ply on a military housing project in Southern California
>and have been told of it use on other military housing projects in Northern
>California and other states.  I am not aware of any buildings which have gone
>through an earthquake though that used thermo-ply for the wall sheathing.  As
>you noticed, the allowable shear is more than gypboard, but less than
>plywood.  Since the thickness is only about 1/8 inch and roofing type nails
>are used for the attachment to the studs we only used it on very long walls
>(wall height/wall length ratio  = 1/4  = 0.25).  All shorter walls used
>plywood.  The material seems rather flimsy and probably would not fair very
>well if you did some dynamic testing on a wall panel sheathed with
>thermo-ply.  But, because of cost, we well most likely have to use it on any
>future military housing projects,  especially since it has an approved shear
>value with an ICBO approval.  Depending on the project which you are involved
>in, you might want to require some dynamic testing of a thermo-ply sheathed
>wall panel to determine how it actually performs.
>

>Michael Cochran
>Brian L. Cochran Associate
>Los Angeles, CA.
Regards,