Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
[SEAOC] [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Concret cracks[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
- Subject: [SEAOC] [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Concret cracks
- From: jay.shilstone(--nospam--at)shilstone.com (Jay Shilstone)
- Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 15:25:04 GMT
To: RLFOLEY(--nospam--at)aol.com Subject: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Concret cracks R>Dors anyone want to talk about concrete cracks? Specifically, how does one R>tell if a crack in a slab -on -grade was caused by an earthquake (Northridge R>for example) or is merely a shrinkage crack or possibly caused by soil R>related problems (expansive, improperly compacted). Does anyone have any way R>of looking at a crack such as these 2.75 years after the Northridge R>earthquake and knowing if it is earthquake related? Are cracks in locations R>at the center of slab joints that appear to be shrinkage cracks actually R>earthquake cracks? Plastic shrinkage cracks are usually surface conditions. They don't go all the way through. Shrinkage cracks can go all the way through. I don't think you could tell if the crack was due to shrinkage, soil subsidence (or heave) or an earthquake. Odds are, if it was an earthquake, the crack would be visible immediately after the quake - unless the quake caused some soil to shift and the crack later occurred because of the soil shift. In case you didn't notice, I have no idea what the answer is. Just thought I would put in my 2 cents worth. Jay Shilstone jay.shilstone(--nospam--at)shilstone.com Shilstone Companies (214) 361-9681 9400 N. Central Expy., #105 FAX: (214) 361-7925 Dallas, TX, 75231 BBS: (214) 361-8873 U.S.A. (Concrete Consultant) http://18.104.22.168 ...
- Prev by Subject: [SEAOC] [SEAOC] Precast Prestressed Concrete in a Marine Environment
- Next by Subject: [SEAOC] [SEAOC] Re: Structural Engineering Software
- Previous by thread: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Thermo-Ply Structural Sheathing
- Next by thread: [SEAOC] RE: [SEAOC] Quality in Engineering - checking