[SEAOC] [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Concret cracks

To: RLFOLEY(--nospam--at)aol.com
Subject: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Concret cracks

R>Dors anyone want to talk about concrete cracks?  Specifically, how does one
R>tell if a crack in a slab -on -grade was caused by an earthquake (Northridge
R>for example) or is merely a shrinkage crack or possibly caused by soil
R>related problems (expansive, improperly compacted).  Does anyone have any way
R>of looking at a crack such as these  2.75 years after the Northridge
R>earthquake and knowing if it is earthquake related?  Are cracks in locations
R>at  the center of slab joints that appear to be shrinkage cracks actually
R>earthquake cracks?

Plastic shrinkage cracks are usually surface conditions. They don't go
all the way through.

Shrinkage cracks can go all the way through. I don't think you could
tell if the crack was due to shrinkage, soil subsidence (or heave) or an
earthquake. Odds are, if it was an earthquake, the crack would be
visible immediately after the quake - unless the quake caused some soil
to shift and the crack later occurred because of the soil shift.

In case you didn't notice, I have no idea what the answer is. Just
thought I would put in my 2 cents worth.

Jay Shilstone                          jay.shilstone(--nospam--at)shilstone.com
Shilstone Companies                    (214) 361-9681
9400 N. Central Expy., #105            FAX: (214) 361-7925
Dallas, TX, 75231                      BBS: (214) 361-8873
U.S.A.                                 (Concrete Consultant)
http://206.54.189.33