[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Concret cracks

I pretty much agree with the comments by Jay Shilstone, including the
part that says this is mostly conjecture. However, with respect to
settlement and or heave cracks, while they may _appear_ similar to other
cracks, there are usually other indicators which will help in your
diagnosis (heaving slabs are real obvious). I suspect that seismically
induced cracks are going to be larger than most, but that is just a
guess. After Loma Prieta, we got a lot of calls to look at concrete
cracks (mostly in walls) and they were all pre-earthquake. You can
usually tell the age of a crack (like, maybe it has paint in it) so that
if you see it soon after an earthquake you can tell. Anything cracked in
the Northridge quake will now be difficult to pin down by age though,
since it's been so long.

Bob Shilling, SE             Berkeley, CA          shilling(--nospam--at)emf.net
KK6QQ         				                   MSA S-10
'91 R100 "Toronado"                                       DoD# 1195
      "This alligator walks into a bar and ..."   Horizon Kent