[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Concrete cracks

Ray, although this sound too simplistic, I found that the following were tip-offs to the age of the age of a crack:
1. I found carpet tacks in one crack - suggesting that the crack was formed prior to the earthquake when the carpet was laid.
2. Following the crack along the floor - I would find evidence that someone tried to fill the crack with a mastic or caulking - done either before the owner had the home or prior to the earthquake. This, of course, assumes that you inspect the proposed damage as close to the seismic event as possible.
3. The amount of dust, bugs and debree in a crack are another hint.

I know that this sounds elementary, but you would be surprised by how many "forensic" engineers went out after Northridge and missed these obvious signs. A little common sense goes a long way.

Dennis