[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Heavy Flagstone Veneer

    Dennis
    I don't know of any L.A. city or other changes for veneer. My concern is
that i have yet to go to a job where the veneer was being properly installed.
THE TIES IN THE SIMPSON CATALOG DO NOT MEET CODE ! In my area no local
supplier sells ties that meet code. I personally have to help the contractor
order from Burke down in L.A.. And how does the #9 gauge wire embed in the
stone veneer anyway? It can not curve with the stone. It does not work right
! I came up with a compromise on the last job since the contractor already
had a billion Simpson substandard ties i had him get Burke ties and use them
both. The Burke ties and #9 wire were embedded in the mud behind the veneer
and the Simpson ties were embedded in between the veneer joints( double
coverage ) . This is much better than the average job with just Simpson ties
but i still would like to see a better solution. I think this goes in the
category with masonry fireplaces: we know they will have problems ( fail ) in
the next earthquake.

Tom Harris, SE
Thousand Oaks, CA