[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Quality in Engineering - checking

On Sat, 21 Sep 1996 06:48:13 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

\\Do any engineers have any thoughts on why this occurs? (Failure to
pass a
\\plan check). Is the reason an incomplete understanding of what the
code
\\requires? Is it other disciplines involved? (Electrical,
mechanical).
\\Is it the architect? If building is your life's work, why so many
missteps?
\\

It's not missteps as much as impatience on the part of developers or
contractors to start the plancheck clock going. Some jurisdictions
frown on the submittal of incomplete plans, many don't. Sometimes a
set gets submitted by someone up the hierarchy (the architect usually)
without the knowledge of the engineer.

We put a warning note on our plans that is not removed until the
permit is issued to avoid problems with bids based on unfinished
documents.

Mark

Mark E. Deardorff, SE
Deardorff & Deardorff, Inc.