[SEAOC] Re: Quality in Engineering - checking

Relating to my own question on checking of engineering documents, I will
summarize the practice in my office.  We primarily design water and wastewater
treatment plants for municipal/ county government agencies.  Our structural
design calculations are routinely checked, although the method of checking may
vary - some do a detailed number-by-number check, some do a general review and
"ballpark" numerical check, and in some cases an independent analysis is done.
 The methodology and design results are generally reviewed by a PE.  Computer
analyses are preferred to be cross-checked by approximate manual calculations
where practical - or as a minimum I expect an experienced engineer to review
the methodology, input and results of a computer analysis.  Personally, I
output as much useful data as possible (such as deflections, stresses and
reactions for various load cases, including base load cases, etc.) to get a
"feel" for the reasonableness of the computer results.

Regarding drawings, all drafting redmarks are backchecked by the engineer who
did the markup and a "final drawing check" is normally done when the drawings
are completed to about 90% completion.  Drawings are reviewed by the
responsible PE; and for significant/ critical structures, the construction
drawings are independently reviewed by a senior engineer.

What concerns me is some work I get which is performed by subconsultants or as
a result of a contractor design (such as a pre-engineered building) - which
does not appear to have been checked by someone other than the preparer.
Also, some architectural drawings developed by subconsultants have not
appeared to have undergone a very detailed review or coordination with the
structural drawings.  Shouldn't all engineers and all disciplines be held to a
certain minimum level of quality assurance checking?

I am also concerned with the fact that our company must sometimes compete with
engineering firms which may not provide the same level of checking - such that
the client is not getting the same level of quality.  I'm not familiar with
our detailed contract language with clients, but shouldn't contracts spell out
in some detail the level of quality assurance/ checking required so that
engineers are competing on an equal basis?