[SEAOC] Tilt-Up Wall Panels on Drilled Piers

Does anyone know of a good concrete tilt-wall panel design methodology
for panels bearing on isolated supports (specifically on drilled
piers)?  My research of tilt-up publications and programs concludes that
most tilt-up design methodologies are based on panels bearing on
continuous footings.  The only publication I have been able to locate
that addresses the issue is "Tilt-up Load-Bearing Walls" (EB074.02D) by
the Portland Cement Association.  The problem with this document is that
numerous interpolations are required to arrive at a load capacity
coefficient, and the graph for determining the reduction factor for
panels on isolated supports does not include small footing to panel
ratios, which are typical for pier foundations.  I have also researched
deep beam behavior, but all test data and literature is based on
non-slender elements with height to thickness ratios (h/t) less than
25.  In areas of high seismic activity, panels are required by code to
bear on continuous supports and the height to thickness ratio is limited
to a maximum of 36.  However, in areas of low seismicity such as Texas,
tilt-up panels are typically very slender elements and construction
practices routinely result in panels with height to thickness ratios of
50.  Slender wall panels bearing on isolated supports should consider
lateral buckling above the support.  If no publications addressing this
issue exist, are there any suggestions for a design approach?

Paul J. Rielly, P.E.

  HALFF ASSOCIATES, INC.
  Engineers*Architects*Planners
  8616 Northwest Plaza Drive
  Dallas, Texas  75225
  Phone:    (214)739-0094
  Fax:      (214)739-0095
  Email:    halffass(--nospam--at)earthlink.net
  Website:  http://www.halff.com