[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: Quality in Engineering - checking

James M. Warne wrote:

> At 06:36 AM 9/25/96 -0700, you wrote:
> > I am the
> >only PE at this time.  I have strongly encouraged the powers to be to get
> >another as my own PE is rather fresh.  Any checking done is either me of
> >another non-engineer or checking my own work.  Whenever I run up against
> >something out of my experience, I am running to the retired engineer or
> >our consultant, but neither of these sources can provide routine checking.
> >Suggestions?
>
> Good attitude! Metal Building Manufacturers are notorious (at least many of
> the ones I encounter) for skinning weight down, skimping on details, and
> using "malleable" engineers to stamp design drawings. You've spotted the
> danger inherent in not getting proper design reviews. Keep up the practice
> of going outside to get a good check, especially of your concepts.
>
> You will be tested, I'm sure, as design and construction costs may go up.
> But the buildings have to be safe, and you have to be honest when you
> certify that the buildings meet the code. Be candid with your boss. Get
> support from your professional society or your peers in other firms. To
> thine own self be true.
>
> It'll be a character building experience. You'll be glad you chose the path
> of quality. Although it could set back your prospects with this company,
> it'll pay off in future jobs.
>
>                                                          Jim Warne
In other words, you are saying if she follows your advise, she will
eventually
loose her job.  Of this she can be sure.
One of the most difficult Engineering jobs you can have is working for a
manufacturer
of building products.  They stay in business by providing the least
expensive
solution to a building.  The pressure is constant to cut corners to cut
costs
and deliver on what the Sales department has promised.
It's a tough position I wouldn't want to be in.  I'm not saying ALL
engineering
jobs with manufactuers are like this, but from what I have seen, most
are.

Lynn