[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Powder Actuated Driven Fasteners

ErwinRomel(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> Can anybody tell me if powder actuated driven fasteners like Hilti Fasteners
> are allowed to be used in interior shear walls, specifically to attach the
> sill or sole plate to the concrete floor slab. Does the Uniform Building Code
> allow the use of such fasteners? Any responce to this subject will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Erwin O. Javier

About 10 years ago I had to run down the answer to the same question.
Things may
have changed since then, so I can't guarentee that this answer still
holds true.
At the time, I was able to get and ICBO report that allowed 100 plf of
shear for
the Hilti pins.  That was the maximum load allowed, no matter what the
spacing of
of the pins (I think the spacing we acually specified was 24" o.c.)
You can not use them in exterior walls, as they are too close to the
edge of the
slab and can cause spalling of the edge of the concrete.
We only used these pins on this one project (a large national chain of
cheap motels).
We had never used them before this project, and we have never used them
since (for
shear walls anchorage that is.)

Lynn