[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Powder Actuated Driven Fasteners

ErwinRomel(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> Can anybody tell me if powder actuated driven fasteners like Hilti Fasteners
> are allowed to be used in interior shear walls, specifically to attach the
> sill or sole plate to the concrete floor slab. Does the Uniform Building Code
> allow the use of such fasteners? Any responce to this subject will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Erwin O. Javier
> 	Lynn Howard's response is correct.  Powder driven fasteners were used a lot for one story tract housing until the early 80's where the
shear was less than 100 plf. and construction cost was a driving factor.  I think you will find that today most engineers use Hilti Kwik bolts
at interior walls if he can not convince the developer / contractor to use standard anchor bolts with "proper" embedment.  Contact Hilti at
1-800-879-8000 and find out if they have kept current the ICBO report which defined this application in detail.
	I think the real question should be if anyone inspected housing after the Northridge Earthquake which had failure of the shear walls
due to the use of powder driven fasteners.  I would be interested in how they performed.

Jim Dane